Started in 1923, the "Crests" (as we now call it) was originally known as Beverly Crest - a residential development by George E. Read (one of the original subdividers of Beverly Hills). Actual development of the "Crests" began in 1925/26.
What follows are some historical pictures and information about the "Crests" which were provided by Marc Wanamaker, a City of Los Angeles and Beverly Hills Historian.
Two logos that were used in the advertising of Beverly Crest in 1924:
Half-way up Schuyler Road sit the towers that were erected to serve as the developments official entrance. Originally a stone gate, designed by a Mr. Youngblood of the Pickford-Fairbanks Studio, had two round towers on either side in the style of an Old English castle; Mr. Read altered the towers to a Spanish motif to be in harmony with the Spanish and Mediterranean-styled homes being built:
George Read (right) is shaking hands with a buyer on Readcrest
overlooking Schuyler Road in 1926:
Aerial of Beverly Crest in 1928:
Aerial of Beverly Crest in 1933:
2005 Aerial of the Crests: